The attic is one of the most common places where molds grow very fast but get unnoticed. Most of the time, homeowners don’t feel about going upstairs in their house, and it gives enough room for molds to grow. Attic place is very much condensed, and the temperature remains lower than the normal, which creates a layer of moisture and leads to mold in attic. If it gets unchecked, mold spores will grow very first overtime. Besides that, wood is the best food source for molds, and an attic has the perfect combination of hot, cold, and moisture levels, which creates a safe environment for growing molds.
Signs of mold in the attic
The following are the 3 major signs you should not ignore.
- Leaking: Sometimes, roofs get damaged or have leaks, and it provides mold in a safe position to spread. If the water is continuously dripping from the roof, it creates moisture and increases the humidity level in the attic. A rotten roof consists of fiber, which is considered the heaven of mold spores. Check frequently to see whether there are any leaks or not on the roof to detect the mold as early as possible.
- The smell from the attic: Smell can tell pretty well that you have molds in your house. If you ever visit any old book shop, you will feel some nasty smell on your nose. When you enter your home, if you feel the same kind of smell when you enter your house, there is a higher possibility that you have mold on your attic.
- Finding spots: Most of the time, mold leaves spots when they start spreading all over the attic. These are grey or brown colors, but black molds are more dangerous. If you find any black spots on your attic, try to take some immediate action to remove them. Also, black molds grow very fast and have serious health issues.
What causes attic mold?
- Blocked ventilation: The main reason for having mold in attic to have excess level moisture on the air. If the attic area is poorly ventilated or has no ventilation, then having mold is an imminent possibility. Make sure that air-circulation is properly working on the attic. If not, then fix it as early as possible.
- Fans or dryer vents: The function of the kitchen exhaust fans or dryer vents is to take moisture out of the house. Make sure the moisture is not going again to your attic. Sometimes these fans are so close to the attic that they pump the moisture directly to the attic.
- Water dripping: If rainwater drips from the roof constantly, the moisture level can get high in the attic. Look for damages on your roof if there is any water dripping on the attic. Sometimes, there remain gaps around the fans placing, which cause rainwater directly come into the attic. You have to make sure that there are no leaks through water that can drip on your attic area.
Types of attic mold
There are two types of mold which are mostly seen on the attic:
Black mold in attic
Black mold is considered the most toxic type mold in the attic as it is responsible for causing some serious health problems like an allergic reaction, skin rashes, itchiness, etc. Black mold grows only when there is an excessive level of moisture in the attic, and black mold in the attic removal is a little bit complex. It is not always necessary to get panicked whenever you see black mold in your house. With the right system and proper approach, you can make your home mold-free.
White mold in attic
It is another type of mold which is commonly found in the attic. Sometimes a normal moisture level is enough for white mold to grow. It is not as dangerous as the black mold. But if it retains for a very long time in the attic, then there is very much possibility it can turn into black mold. Also, it has no serious health effects, but it advisable to remove it after the detection.
How to remove mold in attic?
Inspecting the source: When you have addressed the problem of mold in your attic, the first step is to check the area and find out what is the actual source that is causing the problem. It can have leaks, gaps beside fans or the damaged ventilation. When you identify the source, it will be easier to get rid of the problem.
Determine the type of mold: You have to determine what type of mold is causing the problem. If it is a white mold, then having a natural treatment will be enough, but if it is black mold, then you may need some professional help or chemical solution to get rid of this problem. Make sure you take all the protective measures at the time of cleaning the molds in the attic.
Cleaning with detergent: If you already have some mold spores on the attic, you clean it by normal detergent powder. Wear a mask and gloves before starting the procedure. Take a certain amount of detergent powder and mix it on a big pot with hot water. Scrub the place where mold exists. Sometimes people want to use bleach as a solution, but it is not recommended. Bleach can only clean the surface mold, but most of the attic is deep mold.
Clear the attic: Most of the time, we fill our attic with unnecessary trash, which blocks the air circulation flow properly. Clean the attic and check the insulation after that. If you find mold on your insulation, then replace it with a new one. Don’t dump the unnecessary things in the attic. Check your rafters, and if you find mold in there, clean it with detergent or with any other chemical solution like bleach.
Drying the mold: As you already know, mold likes to grow on moisture, and they don’t like dry areas. To begin that process, first block all the vents and windows that exist in the attic. Then bring a heater or dehumidifier and run it to dry the place. If you do it on a regular interval, then spores of mold will be automatically dry, and your attic can be mold-free.
Using Vinegar: It is one of the best natural processes and very much safe. Take 2 spoons of vinegar for each cup of water and mix them properly. You can also use tea tree oil to get better results. Put the solution on a spray bottle and spray on the places where mold mostly exists. If it black mold, then you can use hydrogen peroxide with the solution. This process is completely safe and easy to apply.
Dry Ice blasting: Ice blasting is considered the most effective solution for removing the mold from wood. There are many ice blasting vanguard that you can use to remove mold. The main advantage of dry ice blasting is that it does not contain any toxic elements and is safe from any chemical hazard.
How to prevent attic mold:
It is better to prevent the mold in the first place rather than having it later. First of all, you have to cut the source of moisture as it mostly promotes growth. Look for all the leaks and damages that are responsible for water dripping. Check the attics with a regular interval. If you see any white mold, remove it at first sight because it can later convert into the black mold and cause serious health issues. Check all the fans and vents and try to find out if there is any gap. Cleaning the bathroom after the shower is also important as excess water can increase the moisture level.
Attic mold is not a random thing, and many homeowners face it on a constant basis. After cleaning the mold once, it is possible that it can come back again. So checking the attic frequently is the best solution, and if there is any mold you find, try the above methods, which are already discussed in this article. If the mold in attic is creating any health issue, take the help of professional experts to remove it.